The colombian Marriage Visa Process is intended for a foreigner who has a marital union with a Colombian person. It applies to heterosexual and same-sex couples.
It can be granted from one up to three years. The final answer and the authorization time will depend on the Colombian government. After two continuous years with this kind of visa, the foreigner may apply to a residence as long as the union continues.
The requirements to start the marriage visa process are the following:
- Valid original passport with at least two blank pages. We’ll need a photocopy of the data page.
- Photocopy of the document that demonstrates your legal stay in Colombia or in the country in which you will apply for your visa (if it is to be requested through a Colombian consulate).
- Good quality digital picture 3×4 cm, white background without accessories.
- A true and updated copy of the Marriage Certificate issued by a Colombian Notary, or the Domestic Partnership Document issued by our lawyers. If you want more information, contact us!
- Copy of the ‘cédula’ of the Colombian permanent partner.
- Visa application letter signed by the permanent partner.
- Notarized letter from the Colombian permanent partner granting you the legal power to apply for the visa.
5 to 10 business days. NOTE: Once the complete documentation is available.
IMPORTANT: Please note that all documents issued outside of Colombia must be updated, apostilled or legalized and, if necessary, translated into Spanish by an official Colombian translator (at expatgroup.co we offer the additional translation service). Furthermore, the Minister of Foreign Affairs may require additional documents or even an interview in Bogotá. Remember that visa applications can be approved, required, inadmissible or denied, by discretionary and autonomous rights of the Colombian government. Regardless of the government’s response, please note that expatgroup.co will not give money back after the services were executed. If your visa is approved, you will have a deadline of 15 calendar days to register it in Migración Colombia, otherwise, you could be charged a fine. This registration includes the application for your “Cédula de Extranjería“ (Foreign ID Card). The “Cédula de Extranjería" has an additional cost of approximately $ 65USD and must be paid at the Immigration office only by card. Finally, also consider that an approved visa may have restrictions that the foreigner must accept and respect.