In this post, we’re going to walk you through how to renew your American passport at the American embassy in Bogotá.
As an experienced visa services agency, we’re constantly asked by our clients about the logistics of replacing their expiring passports with a new one via the American consulate in the Colombian capital.
For this reason, we’re going to explain the following in this article:
- The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the process of renewing American passports
- Who is eligible for American passport renewal
- Where to apply for your American passport renewal
- What the American passport renewal requirements are
- How much the American passport renewal via the embassy costs
Let’s get started with the changes COVID-19 has caused in the American passport renewal process.
COVID-19 effects on the American passport renewal process
To combat the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the Colombian government has closed its borders to international travel. This means that commercial flights cannot enter the country, nor can people reenter the country if they leave by humanitarian flight, until further notice.
As well as the above, the Colombian government has placed heavy restrictions on internal travel between regions. Expats and Colombians alike need special permission to travel between departments with toll booths being used as checkpoints by police.
Ultimately, this means that if you want to renew your American passport from outside of Bogotá, you’ll most likely need to use an experienced passport renewal agency to get your new passport from the American embassy.
Am I eligible to renew my American passport via the American embassy?
Other than having an American passport, the American embassy will only accept your renewal application if your passport is in good condition and was issued when you were 16 or older. If you’re under the age of 16, your American passport renewal must be done in person with your parents present and not through an agency or courier service.
Additionally, the passport must have been issued within the last 15 years and under the exact same name as your previous passport. In the case that you’ve changed your name within this time period, you’ll need legal documentation that certifies your name change, be it a marriage certificate or a government-issued document that states you’ve legally changed your name.
Where do I apply for my American passport renewal?
If you comply with the above paragraph, your application for a US passport can be done through a DS-82 form. If you don’t comply with the above paragraph, you’ll need to use a DS-11 form. It should be noted that if your application is by a DS-11 form, this needs to be done in person and can’t be transmitted by courier or agency.
That being said, to avoid any costly errors, our US passport renewal service has already helped dozens of Americans like yourself successfully replacing their expiring passports with new ones.
What are the American passport renewal requirements?
The American embassy requirements for renewing the passports of American citizens are as follows:
- An original American passport
- Two passport-style photos that adhere to the following requirements:
- Size: 51 x 51mm (2 x 2 inches)
- Angle: Your head must be directly facing the camera with your full face in view
- Position: 25 – 35mm from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head
- Expression: A neutral expression or natural smile with both eyes open
- Material: Printed on matte or high-gloss paper
- Date: Taken within the last 6 months
- Background: A plain white or off-white color background
- Color: An in color photo (not black and white)
- Clothing: Everyday plain clothes
- Headwear: No hats or headpieces are permitted with the exception of religious headwear. Your face must be fully visible and not shadowed by anything you’re wearing.
- Accessories: No headphones or wireless devices should be visible
If you’ve got any doubts on whether your photo meets the requirements, or whether your passport is valid for renewal via the American embassy, reach out to us by booking a call here.
How much does the American passport renewal process via the embassy cost?
The American embassy charges $110 for their American passport renewal service. This does not include the delivery fee from the embassy.
It’s also worth noting that you don’t have to transfer your visas from your old passport into your new one. Many Americans who renew their passport carry both their old and new passports when travelling or visiting Migración.
Use an experienced passport renewal agency to replace your old American passport
If you’re looking to get your passport renewed in a timely and cost-effective manner, choose an experienced passport renewal agency to help replace your old American passport.
At Expat Group, we offer our clients a competitive price and a service that’s successful. We’ve advised over 2000 expats on visa, business and legal matters in Colombia, from 36 different nationalities. We’ve processed over 970 visas, helped create over 80 businesses, and helped renew over 24 American passports.
To find out more about our passport renewal capabilities, fill out this form or book a call.