The Cédula de extranjería is an identity document granted to foreigners of legal age and minors from the age of 7 who are holders of a Visa valid for more than three months. This document allows you to carry out legal procedures as if you were a Colombian citizen, for example, bank procedures, notarial procedures, and access to the Colombian health system (eps).
This process must be carried out at the Immigration offices no later than 15 calendar days after the visa issuance, but If the Visa were issued at a consulate abroad, the 15 days would count from the entry date into the country.
The validity of the foreign identity card will be for a term equal to that of the validity of the Colombian Visa. On the other hand, those granted a Resident Visa must renew their cédula de extranjería every five years at a Colombian Migration office, although this benefit is indefinite.
This article shows you the entire process of requesting your foreigner’s identity card.
Steps to apply for your cédula de extranjería for the first time:
1. First, you must schedule your appointment. Go to:
- Fill out the information
- In type of procedure select: Cédula de extranjería
- In sub-process: Por primera vez
In the date field, you will see the available appointment options. Choose the closest one and fill in the following information:
Click register, and you will get the following message:
Save the number of the appointment, and then you will receive an email with an online form that you must fill out, called FUT:
Fill out the Single Form for Procedures > Select Cédula de extranjería > and the Service Facilitation Center in your city residence.
Remember that you must fill in all the fields marked as mandatory, which include:
- Your personal information
- blood type (RH)
- Information of an emergency contact in Colombia
- The information related to the visa obtained and the activity that you are going to carry out in the country
- It would help if you also chose the Immigration office in which you will receive your physical cédula de extranjería
Do not forget that in the ‘Files’ field, you must upload the photo of the main page of your passport and your electronic visa in PDF format.
Once all the form fields have been completed, fill in the captcha and click on I accept.
Once you have finished the online form, download the confirmation document, you must print it for the appointment with Migration.
And that’s it; with this, you can attend your appointment and request the Cédula de extranjería.
Note: To the registered email, you will receive information from Colombia Migration regarding the process of the Immigration Certificate that you are going to carry out.
What documents should I bring?
Requirements for the application:
• Original passport
• Photocopy of the page with the biographical data of the passport
• Photocopy of the electronic Visa
• Confirmation of the Single Form of Procedures filled out through the Colombia Migration website.
• Payment receipt for the issuance of the Cédula de extranjería
• Blood type and RH factor
• Minors (between 7 and 17 years old) who are visa beneficiaries must come in the company of the minor’s father, mother, or legal representative.
• General rate 246,000 Colombian pesos
What do I do if I lose my ID?
- The first thing you should do is make a complaint to the police so you can report the loss of your document.
- Enter the website of Migración Colombia to schedule the appointment following the process described above, but in this case, you must select Sub-procedure ‘Duplicate.’
- Remember that you must also fill out the Single Form of Procedures (FUT), as is the issuance of the cédula de extranjería for the first time.-Attend the Colombian Migration office on the scheduled date and time, showing your original passport, a copy of the visa, and the printed FUT.
- Make the payment of $206,000 Colombian pesos.
How long does it take to get my cédula de extranjería?
- Generally, it can take up to 10 business days from the date of payment. However, this time may vary according to the city and detailed factors of Migración Colombia.
Note: After these days, you can go without making an appointment; only bring your passport
Carry out your procedures with Expatgroup
Our agency has more than ten years of experience processing visas; many expats have successfully obtained their visas and cédulas de extranjería with us to enjoy a legal stay in the country.
-The satisfaction of our customers speaks of the quality of our services
-We are a bilingual team. Therefore, we can give you all the information without the language being a barrier.
-Our philosophy is to change lives and make the immigration process for our clients more straightforward, faster, and hassle-free.
We know this kind of process may be hard to follow. At expatgroup, we offer you a complete guide to getting your documents ready. Contact us for a quality service.